Hi Sweet Girl,
You’re 15 now! I know you are counting down the days until you are able to move out on your own and get on with the business of living, but mind the gap, life moves fast and you don’t want to waste a minute of it thinking of what will be. Your life has been challenging thus far, but you don’t realize to what extent yet. You are stronger than you realize, wise beyond your years, and your heart knows boundaries foreign to most. Gosh I just really want to give you a hug and tell you it’s all going to be okay, eventually. Since I cannot do that there are some things that I think you’d find value in knowing, things to lighten your shoulders and set your heart free.
- First and foremost, the struggles you’ve known are all preparing you for your future. It’s with deep regret that I inform you that there are a series of tougher times ahead, but it’s because of your inner strength and positive attitude that you will survive these rough waters. Hold on tightly and remember that this too shall pass, it always does. If that doesn’t work eat a cookie. 😉
- I know you’re used to relying solely on yourself at this point in life, but there are times when it’s okay to ask for help. You are literally never going to want to do this
like everbut you cannot do it all on your own, reach out! The burden is too heavy sweetie, you need others to survive. I know you are shaking your head that you don’t, you’re so stubborn, but you do!😊
- For gosh sakes learn to pamper yourself. You deserve to be treated as softly and sweetly as you treat others. Never, ever forget that. Never put other people’s needs ahead of your own. Fill your own cup first. This is very important and you will struggle with it dearly. When you’re an old dinosaur like me, you’ll have an epiphany about this and regret how hard you were on yourself, so save yourself some time and just be sweet to yourself from here on out. Always ask if what you are doing is loving to you, always.😘
- Spend as much time with your mom and grandmother as possible. They will be gone long before you are ready and you will miss them like you would miss air. Do whatever it takes to make everlasting treasured memories to reflect upon, you’ll never regret them.
- Don’t let anyone dull your sparkle. So many people will try, some much harder than others. Your sparkle is yours, it will always be yours. Hold on to it tightly. Some people are total a$$holes and you will never be able to understand them or fix them for gosh sakes, just walk away. Do you hear me? Walk AWAY and don’t ever look back.
- Lastly, love fiercely (this includes yourself), forgive always, and don’t sweat the small stuff. Even in your darkest hour, there’s goodness to be found, focus on it. Sometimes it’s found in ice cream sandwiches😉, but hey goodness is goodness.❤️
Since this letter has to end somewhere, I’ll close by saying always be true to yourself, okay? You’ve got what it takes but sometimes it’s going to take everything you’ve got, like every last iota, just keep being your best self.
Much love, You in 32 years
I’ve had this blog topic on my list for a while now. I have to say, if you’ve never written a letter to your younger self I encourage you to give it a try. It was actually a bit therapeutic and enjoyable.
Thank you for following along. 😊 Below are a few of my most recent watercolor paintings.