In the spirit of Summer slowly winding down, and my attempt to hold on to what’s left of it, I thought it’d be fun to talk about popsicles. There’s nothing more refreshing and delicious on a hot day. Okay so maybe there are few things, but popsicles are up there in my top five.
When I was pregnant with my son about a million years ago I started making homemade popsicles for a few reasons. First, they were one of the few things I could eat without repercussions. Second, it’s nice to be able to choose your ingredients for anything you consume. Having said that I’m going to be honest, back then I loved root beer! I’d love to tell you that since I was pregnant my popsicles were all natural and organic (they would be these days) but they were actually just A&W root beer. If you love root beer and you’ve never had a root beer popsicle I encourage you to try one! So delicious! And third, they can be so quenching on a hot day! Not to mention they are pretty affordable, as you can often make them with things you probably have at home. I’m pretty sure you can get the little kits just about anywhere these days. It looks like Bed, Bath and Beyond sells them for about $5.
Well, let’s get to it! I’m not going to pretend to have invented any of these…I’m not real ‘kitcheny’ so if one looks yummy, feel free to click the link.
- Dole Whip Popsicles – These are supposed to taste like the dole whip at Disneyland. I know cool whip has a coconut milk version now, which might be a bit healthier.
- There are a few great ones here but the two that caught my eye are Banana Colada Popsicles and Root Beer Float Popsicles.
- Homemade Orange Creamsicles – Otherwise known as the ever-so-heavenly 50/50 bar. You don’t call it that too?! 😉 This one looks easy and you could use non-dairy ice cream, or whatever suits your fancy.
- Homemade Fresh Fruit Popsicles – Here are directions on how to make those beautiful fresh fruit popsicles. I haven’t tried this one, but it looks easy… Famous last words. 😉 But the recipe does say you won’t believe how easy these are to make.
- Grapefruit and Strawberry Greyhound Poptail – Um poptail? Did you know that’s a thing? I didn’t. Anyway, if the above ideas weren’t enough here are 30 more at this site.
And now, I’m craving a popsicle. Please feel free to share your favorites. Enjoy the last month of Summer (or Winter) and go ahead and treat yourself to a popsicle!
A few more of my little watercolors. I probably already posted the popsicle one before but it’s too fitting not to post again. 🙂