What’s your biggest kitchen fail that’s actually funny now?

As I mentioned last week, I’m going to keep things reflective and lite over here for the rest of the year, for your sake and mine. Holidays and chronic illness do not, I repeat, do not go together like peanut butter and jelly, so this year I’m taking it easier on myself. Kind of sounds like the faint whisperings of self-compassion… 😉

This week, in the spirit of Thanksgiving here in the U.S. I thought it’d be fun to reflect on ‘oopsie daisy’ moments in the kitchen. When you’re in the moment these fails can feel so important but in reflection they often make for the greatest stories. I have two that come to mind, although one of them wasn’t exactly in the kitchen. If you feel like sharing yours in the comments, I’d love to hear them.

First you need to know, one of my guiltiest pleasures is stove-popped popcorn; I’ve made it without fail approximately a trillion times. But there was this one time…I was staying at a friend’s house and unfamiliar with their cookware, and stove-top, and decided to pop myself some good ole stove-top popcorn. Whelp, when I went to shake the older pan across the electric burner … it not only sparked, but sent a flame up, which somehow engulfed the pan in flames! I rushed the pan to the sink, put out the fire, and all was well, but I’ll never forget how terrifying it was, and embarrassing as it wasn’t my house. The second total fail that comes to mind, and I’ll try to keep this short, is the time the grill turned into raging flames. This is a long story but here is the condensed version. I had been very sick (bedridden) during most of my pregnancy and couldn’t be anywhere near raw meat without swift repercussions of the projectile type, so a few weeks after my son was born, and thankfully that issue went away, I thought it’d be sweet to grill my husband (now X) steak for dinner. Basically, the steak turned into raging flames, which were reaching the porch covering, the fire department was called, the fire was put out, and much to my husband’s disappointment there was no steak for dinner as there was literally no steak left to even be seen on the grill! Oops! Lesson learned: I now keep open baking soda and a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and have used the baking soda several times on the grill. PSA: Do this ‘open baking soda in the kitchen’ thing, tell your kids, tell the neighbors, it’s miraculous. Hoping this gave you a chuckle, but mostly hoping you can laugh at your own reflections of ‘oopsy daisy’ moments that felt like embarrassing fails at the time.

Hoping you have a lovely Thanksgiving holiday if you’re in the U.S. and if you’re elsewhere, I hope you have a lovely week too. If you have a chronic illness, and even if you don’t, be gentle with yourself this week. 🌼 A few more doodles as I follow along with the World Watercolor Prompts on Instagram.

 

19 thoughts on “What’s your biggest kitchen fail that’s actually funny now?

  1. That is great question. I did make my first Thanksgiving dinner many years ago for my husband’s grandparents and great aunt and great grandmother. I loved them all and wanted to impress them. Unfortunately, it took WAY, way longer than I thought and I had a bunch of hungry, tired, relatives in our tiny apartment. I just kept turing up the temperature to get it done.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Oh No! Hopefully they handled it with grace! And gave you a second chance? I’ve woken up to frozen turkeys on Thanksgiving several times and that adds some time to the day. 😁 Now I know how to bake a frozen turkey though, so live and learn. 😂 Hoping this year is delightful for you and yours!

      Liked by 1 person

  2. I had a grill incident similar to yours a couple of years ago Mishka. I was cooking cedar-planked salmon and we were expecting guests. Soon after I put it on the grill, our neighbor stopped by. I started talking with him, and the salmon completely slipped my mind until I looked out the back door and saw flames coming up out of the grill. We managed to get the fire out okay, but the salmon was charcoal. We laugh at it now, but it sure wasn’t funny then. I hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Smoutess

    This happened when I was a teenager. I used to use Parisian essence to colour my gravy when I made a dish that involved meatballs and gravy. Unfortunately, the vanilla essence was the same brand and about the same size bottle – I think you can guess where this is going….
    Let me just say, that vanilla flavoured gravy is not going to catch on.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. 😂 I love vanilla, but I could see where those two flavors don’t mesh. I once skipped the parsley in a garlicky mushroom pate for a party. It was that day that I learned parsley cuts garlic taste and it’s important! 😁 The good news was I love garlic and had it all to myself. 😁 Thank you for stopping by and commenting! 🌸

      Liked by 1 person

  4. Hahahah yikes! I sense a pattern with flames here 😂It’s not recent but I’ll never forget the second ‘cookery’ lesson we had in school. I was about 12, and it wasn’t teaching you cookery in the slightest. One day we were asked to bring things in to make something we’d eat for breakfast. I bought in porridge, thinking it’d be nice and easy. Worth noting that I was 12, I’d never made porridge in my life, nor had I eaten it. I put the oats in a bowl, and the bowl in the microwave. I walked away for two minutes… Fire alarm goes off, the classroom fills with smoke. That’s right, no milk or liquid of any kind in with the oats, oops! xx

    Liked by 1 person

    1. 😁 That gave me a good chuckle! Oops! I am left wondering, given your tender age, if you were horrified? Everything feels so important at 12. Mine were both about 20 years ago, in my 20s. It’s definite resulted in me being very careful when flames are involved! 😳 In fact I never grilled by myself again! 😁 Thank you for stopping in and sharing! It’s left me with a big smile. 😊 Hoping today is a peaceful one for you 🌸

      Like

      1. Oh yes, I can laugh about it now but back then..? Beyond mortified! I cried for a while after that happened. I was a pretty anxious child, too, incredibly shy 😆
        Yes, pleeeease be careful in the kitchen and near flames!
        Happy Thanksgiving, Mishka. With love from my corner of the UK xx

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.